Gallants Channel Bridge / Beaufort Bypass
Project # R-3307
Affected Counties: Carteret
Estimated Cost: $74 million, funded
Construction Completion Date: To be decided once economic impact study has been completed
The Gallants Channel Bridge/Beaufort Bypass is part of the planned U.S. 70 Corridor from Raleigh to Morehead City, and it will involve replacing the current bridge with a 65-foot, fixed-span high-rise drawbridge with four lanes.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) has said that the project is meant to improve the amount of traffic that U.S. 70 can support, as well as decrease the delays at the Gallant's Channel Bridge.
- Carteret County News: "NCDOT agrees to redesign a portion of the bridge after residents complain about access being cut to their neighborhood"
- "Beaufort Middle School approves right-of-way acquisition for part of its property"
- Finding of No Significant Impact: Completed
- Right-of-Way Acquisition: Underway
- Construction Consultation: February 2012
- Construction: To begin this year
The NCDOT has already begun contacting property owners who will be affected by the project, and some property owners (such as Beaufort Middle School) have already completed negotiations. No information has been publicized about the number of property owners or businesses that will be affected by the project.
If your property will be affected, contact one of our attorneys for a free case evaluation.