Topsail Island Bridge Replacement
Type: Bridge Replacement
Affected Counties: Pender
Estimated Cost: $57 million
The N.C. Department of Transportation plans to begin construction of a new bridge to replace the current Topsail Island swing bridge (no. 16) in Surf City, which runs over the Intracoastal Waterway on N.C. 50/210. This is one of two bridges that provide access to Topsail Island.
The bridge is being replaced because it was built in the 1950's and is due for replacement. Several alternatives were studies, but ultimately the NCDOT chose Alternative 17, a high rise fixed span bridge, as it was the lowest cost alternative and will to have less impact on Soundside Park. This design will be very close in height to the fixed high-rise bridge in North Topsail Beach and eliminate traffic delays from bridge openings for boats.
The new bridge will be built roughly 1000 feet south of the current bridge, beginning at the intersection of Roland Avenue, Little Kinston Road and Atkinson Point Road on the mainland. The bridge will curve south, away from the old bridge, reach a height of 65 feet and then curve back in, rejoining NC 210 on the island at a roundabout the NCDOT will build between Kinston and Roland Avenues.
The NCDOT will also repave Roland Avenue near the existing bridge and construct a 10-foot multi-use path on the southwest side of Roland Avenue, which will connect the existing boardwalk bridge to Soundside Park and the multi-use path along the proposed bridge.
The current bridge will stay open during construction and likely be removed afterwards.
Below is an animated video of what the project will look like once complete:
- Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) approved by NCDOT: Finding of No Significant Impact
- Topsail Island Get Away Calendar: "Changes are coming... New Bridge for Surf City 2017"
- Topsail News: "TIP project updates for Pender County"
- Topsail Voice: "Residents speak out about planned swing bridge replacement"
- News Channel 12: "Iconic bridge could be replaced on Topsail Island"
- Star News: "Location set for proposed Topsail Island Bridge"
- RS&H: "Topsail Island Bridge Replacement"
- Port City Daily: "Location for new Topsail Island bridge determined"
- Our State North Carolina: "The Story of the Swing Bridge at Surf City"
- WWAYTV3: "DOT Picks Location for New Topsail Island Bridge"
- Project overview
- Bridge Lane Dimensions
- Project plans
- Mock-ups of bridge and both tie-ins
- Mock-up of bridge view
- Mock-up of mainland tie-in
- Mock-up of swing bridge removed
- Citizens Informational Workshop #1: June 25, 2009
- Citizens Informational Workshop #2: October 21, 2010
- Environmental Assessment Complete: October 2011
- Corridor Public Hearing: December 2011
- Selection of Preferred Alternative: Fall 2012
- Design Public Hearing: Summer 2014
- Anticipated Finding of No Significant Impact Document: Fall 2014
- Finding of No Significant Impact Document approved by NDCOT: January 2015
- Right-of-Way Acquisition Begins: 2015
- Construction Begins: 2017
Property takings are currently underway.
If your property will be affected, contact one of our attorneys for a free case evaluation.