The Mooresville Road/NC 3 widening project is a joint project between the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) and the City of Kannapolis.
The plans include widening 2.5 miles of Mooresville Rd/N.C. 3 to a four-lane “superstreet” with a median from the Kannapolis Parkway to Dale Earnhardt Blvd / Loop Road / S.R. 1691.
The superstreet concept means that intersections will not use traffic lights, but those coming from a side street and wanting to turn left onto Mooresville Rd. will have to turn right and make a U-turn.
The design also includes 5 ft sidewalks on both sides, curb and gutters, and wider outside travel lanes for bicyclists. The City of Kannapolis will be contributing $150,000 for these improvements.
According to NCDOT, the purpose of the Mooresville Rd widening project is to alleviate future congestion that will arise, in part, due to the implementation of the proposed Kannapolis Parkway.
The NCDOT held a public hearing for the project on July 9, 2013.
- Independent Tribune: “Project aims to remake Mooresville Road into ‘gracious boulevard’
- Charlotte News 14: “NCDOT holds public hearing on proposed Mooresville Rd. widening project“
- Hickory Record: “NCDOT sets public hearing on Mooresville Road widening project“
- Salisbury Post: “Hayes announces funding for expansion of Mooresville Road“
- Environmental Assessment
- Right-of-way acquisition – January, 2014
- Construction – June, 2015
Get a free case
There are only a handful of attorneys in NC who practice eminent domain exclusively, and even fewer with NCDOT experience. We have several. That’s why its worth getting in touch with us for a free case evaluation.
Here’s how it works:
1) Tell us about your situation.
2) We research your property as needed, using DOT maps, our own technology, and experience to see the exact effects.
3) We let you know what we think a fair offer would be. This evaluation is free, and there’s no
pressure or obligation to hire us after.
But please don’t wait to act. Waiting can hurt your case, and the cost is the same: free.
"*" indicates required fields