N.C. 268 Road Widening (From Martin Road to Austin Traphill Road)
NCDOT TIP# W-5503
Type: Road Widening
Affected Counties: Wilkes
Estimated Cost: $6,050,000
The NCDOT plans to widen the roadway and improve shoulders along three separate sections of N.C. 268 – a total of 9.7 miles. Specific sections scheduled for improvements include:
- North Wilkesboro – 0.8 miles just west of Martin Road to just east of Elmore Road
- North Wilkesboro – 1.4 miles just west of Riddle Road to just east Arbor Grove Church Road
- Elkin – 7.5 miles from White Plains Church Road in Roaring River to just west of Austin Traphill Road
Proponents suggest these efforts are necessary for safety reasons and to make it easier for traffic traveling to and from I-77 into and out of North Wilkesboro, as the area grows.
- Wilkes Journal-Patriot: “Widen all of N.C. 268 East“
- Right-of-way acquisition – Currently underway
- Start Construction – 2016
More than 15 parcels of land will be affected by this project. Currently the NCDOT has set aside $3,125,000 for right-of-way takings. If your property will be affected, contact one of our eminent domain attorneys for a free case evaluation, or call 1-877-393-4990.