US 158 Widening (US 421 to Belews Creek Rd)
NCDOT TIP # R-2577A
Project Type: Road widening
Affected Counties: Forsyth/Guilford
Estimated Cost: $ 110,000,000
The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) will be expanding an 18.8 mile stretch of U.S. 158.
The primary goal of this project is to improve traffic conditions by providing more room to accommodate more cars on the road. Currently, about 23,000 vehicles travel on this section of the highway every day. After this expansion, however, that number is projected to increase to as many as 57,000 vehicles per day by 2035.
Improvements to U.S. 158 are divided into three sections:
- Section A is 5.1 miles long. It begins just north of U.S. 421/Business 40/N.C. 150 and ends at Belews Creek Road in Forsyth County.
- Section B is 7.2 miles long. It begins at Belews Creek Road in Forsyth County and ends at Anthony Road in Guilford County.
- Section C is 6.5 miles long. It begins at Anthony Road in Guilford County and ends at U.S. 220 in Guilford County.
This project will widen these sections to a four-lane highway divided by a median. The purpose of creating this additional room is to alleviate congestion and, as a result, reduce crashes.
US 158 along this route will be reconstructed as a superstreet which will significantly limit the ability to make left turns across traffic from side streets. Instead, travelers seeking to make left turns across US 158 traffic will largely be required to make a right turn, and then a u-turn to travel in the desired direction.
This project will be completed in two phases over several years:
Section A construction will begin in Forsyth County in 2022. Section B construction will begin in 2026. The construction schedule for Section C of the project is still to be determined, but I not expected before 2028.
Some important intersection changes that may be made due to this project include:
- Vance and Belews Creek roads
- The intersection of U.S. 158 and N.C. 68 in Stokesdale
- Meetings open to the public regarding R-2577A
- US 158 widening: Project overview
- US 158 widening: Project highlights
- Highway planners pick final route for U.S. 158 widening, bypass around Stokesdale
- Widening Reidsville Road to 4 lanes topic of DOT meetings
- Section A right-of-way acquisition – 2020
- Section A Construction – 2022
- Section B right-of-way acquisition – 2024
- Section B Construction – 2026
It is estimated that more than 240 parcels of property will be impacted by the R-2577A project. Currently the NCDOT has set aside $11,000,000 for right-of-way takings. If your property will be affected, contact one of our attorneys (three of whom previously worked on behalf of the NCDOT) for a free case evaluation.