US 21 (Statesville Road) Widening, Cornelius
NCDOT TIP # U-5767
Project Type: Road widening
Affected Counties: Mecklenburg
Estimated Cost: $ 23,800,000
The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) plans to widen a 1.2-mile section of US 21 (Statesville Road) between Northcross Center Court near Lowe’s Home Improvement and Westmoreland Road (SR 2147) in Cornelius. Additional lanes, a center median, bike lanes, and pedestrian crosswalks are also planned.
With the NCDOT projecting traffic to double on Statesville Road by 2040, these improvements are designed to help traffic flow. This project will be coordinated with other upcoming projects in the area, including:
- Intersection improvements at US 21 and Gilead Road
- Upgrading the I-77 interchange at Gilead Road to a diverging diamond interchange
- Upgrading the I-77 interchange at NC 73 (Sam Furr Road) to a split diamond interchange
- Right-of-way acquisition – 2019
- Start Construction – 2021
- End Construction – 2024
It is estimated that more than 25 parcels of property will be impacted by this project. Currently the NCDOT has set aside $2,200,000 for right-of-way takings. If your property will be affected, contact one of our attorneys (two of whom previously worked on behalf of the NCDOT) for a free case evaluation.