The NCDOT plans to widen to four lanes a 2.4-mile stretch of Catawba Avenue from just south of Sam Furr Road (NC 73) at the CVS north to Jetton Road at Magnolia Plaza in Mecklenburg County.
Because of traffic congestion, officials suggest that widening this stretch of road can help improve travel time for current commuters and decrease dangerous passing situations, which in turn should decrease the total number of wrecks in this vicinity.
NCDOT improvements include (see image below):
- Improved connections between Cornelius and Huntersville
- A 23-foot raised median
- Enhanced safety for all types of travel (driving, public transit, walking and bicycling), and includes five-foot bicycle lanes, a sidewalk on one side, and a 10-foot multi-use path on the other
This project is a continuation of R-2555A, which included improvements to Catawba Avenue between Jetton Road and I-77, and was completed in 2009.
- Right-of-way acquisition – 2019
- Start construction – 2020
- End construction – 2021
It is estimated that more than 110 parcels of property will be impacted by this project. Currently, the NCDOT has set aside $21,500,000 for right-of-way takings. If your property will be affected, contact one of our attorneys (four of whom previously worked on behalf of the NCDOT) for a free case evaluation.
Get a free case
There are only a handful of attorneys in NC who practice eminent domain exclusively, and even fewer with NCDOT experience. We have several. That’s why its worth getting in touch with us for a free case evaluation.
Here’s how it works:
1) Tell us about your situation.
2) We research your property as needed, using DOT maps, our own technology, and experience to see the exact effects.
3) We let you know what we think a fair offer would be. This evaluation is free, and there’s no
pressure or obligation to hire us after.
But please don’t wait to act. Waiting can hurt your case, and the cost is the same: free.
"*" indicates required fields