Catawba Avenue Road Widening
Project # R-2555B
Type: Road Widening
Affected Counties: Mecklenburg
Estimated Cost: $32,200,000
The NCDOT plans to widen to four lanes a 2.4-mile stretch of Catawba Avenue from just south of Sam Furr Road (NC 73) at the CVS north to Jetton Road at Magnolia Plaza in Mecklenburg County.
Because of traffic congestion, officials suggest that widening this stretch of road can help improve travel time for current commuters and decrease dangerous passing situations, which in turn should decrease the total number of wrecks in this vicinity.
NCDOT improvements include (see image below):
- Improved connections between Cornelius and Huntersville
- A 23-foot raised median
- Enhanced safety for all types of travel (driving, public transit, walking and bicycling), and includes five-foot bicycle lanes, a sidewalk on one side, and a 10-foot multi-use path on the other
This project is a continuation of R-2555A, which included improvements to Catawba Avenue between Jetton Road and I-77, and was completed in 2009.
- Widening Catawba means some buildings will likely be removed
- North Carolina DOT releases draft for 10-year plan
- State road project would address congestion on West Catawba Avenue
- Widening of W. Catawba means change for merchants
- Right-of-way acquisition – 2019
- Start construction – 2020
- End construction – 2021
It is estimated that more than 110 parcels of property will be impacted by this project. Currently, the NCDOT has set aside $21,500,000 for right-of-way takings. If your property will be affected, contact one of our attorneys (four of whom previously worked on behalf of the NCDOT) for a free case evaluation.