I-85 Highway Widening
Project # I-3802 (I-3802A & I-3802B)
Type: Widening & Interchange Improvements
Affected Counties: Cabarrus & Rowan
Estimated Cost: $293,265,000
The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) is adding four additional travel lanes and other improvements to Interstate 85 in Cabarrus and Rowan Counties.
When completed, it is hoped that this more than 13-mile, eight-lane stretch of I-85 will help make travel more efficient, less congested, and potentially safer for travelers and those who regularly commute between Charlotte and Greensboro.
This project will be built in two sections:
- Section I-3802A begins just north of NC 73 (Exit 55) where a previous widening project left off in Concord near Rowan-Cabarrus Community College. It will extend for about 7 miles northeast, through Kannapolis and the U.S. 29/601 connector in China Grove, ending just north of Moose Road in Rowan County.
- Section I-3802B picks up just north of Moose Road and extends over 6 miles to just north of the US 29-601 connector (Exit 68) in Rowan County. In conjunction with Section B, the NCDOT plans to reconstruct the existing interchange at US 29/601 and NC 152, the I-85 and NC 152 interchange, and replace two bridges – one over the Norfolk Southern Railroad and one over US 29 in China Grove.
The plans also include upgrading several interchanges – at US 29/601, Dale Earnhardt Boulevard, Lane Street, and NC 152.
- WSOCTV: State to obtain private land for I-85 widening
- WCCB Charlotte: Property Owners Want Just Compensation as NCDOT Widens I-85
- Spectrum News: NCDOT Awards Contract for I-85 Widening Project
- WBTV: I-85 widening coming to Cabarrus; matching 8 lanes from Rowan to Mecklenburg
- Salisbury Post: I-85 widening included on state’s 10-year transportation plan
- Concord & Kannapolis Independent Tribune: Major changes made to I-85 widening project at Exits 58, 60
- Charlotte Observer: DOT awards contract for I-85 widening in Cabarrus County
Maps of Section I-3802B
- End of Section A, Beginning of Section B
- Section B continued
- End of Section B
The NCDOT has set aside $38,000,000 for right-of-way acquisitions. Property takings for Section A have been completed. Section B commenced October 2106 (see Section I-3802B below).
This over 7-mile section begins just north of NC 73 (Exit 55) and extends to Lane Street (Exit 63) and ends just north of Moose Road in Rowan County. It is nearly completed.
Estimated Cost of I-3802A: $107,346,000
- Right of way acquisition – Completed
- End construction – 2017
Property Takings began in 2014 for Section I-3802A.
This more than 6-mile section picks up at Moose Road just north of Lane Street (Exit 63) and extends just past the US 29-601 connector (Exit 68) in Rowan County.
Estimated Cost of I-3802B: $185,919,000
- Right of way acquisition – Fall 2016
- Start construction – 2017
- End construction – projected 2018
More than 45 properties are likely to be affected. Currently the NCDOT has set aside $16,353,000 for right-of-way takings for Section B. If your property will be affected, contact one of our attorneys (two of whom previously represented the NCDOT) for a free case evaluation, or call 1-877-393-4990.