Macy Grove Extension Project
Project # U-4734
Type: New Roadway Extension
Affected Counties: Forsyth
Estimated Cost: $19 million (NCDOT estimate)
As part of the 2035 Winston-Salem Urban Area Long Range Transportation Plan, the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) is planning to extend Macy Grove Road from just north of Old U.S. 421/East Mountain Street to N.C. 150 near its intersection with Edwards Mill Rd.
This effort is the second part of an overall transportation master plan to enhance traffic flow and improve access to key areas of Kernersville. Part 1 (U-2800 completed in 2015) widened parts of Macy Grove Road and extended it from Old Greensboro Road to north of Old U.S. 421/East Mountain Street as well as constructed an interchange at I-40.
This second phase aims to:
- Connect I-40 Business and N.C. 150 north of Kernersville
- Reduce congestion at the N.C 66/150 interchange in downtown Kernersville
- Provide access to a planned industrial and commercial area around the existing Macy Grove Road bridged crossing of I-40 Business
- Provide a segment of the future Kernersville Loop Road
- Right-of-Way Acquisition: December 2016 and early 2017
- Start Construction: Mid 2018
- End Construction: 2019
More than 35 parcels of land will be impacted by this project. Currently the NCDOT has set aside $4,154,000 for right-of-way takings. If your property will be affected, contact one of our attorneys (two of whom previously worked on behalf of the NCDOT) for a free case evaluation.