Reedy Creek Road Widening
Project # U-5501
Type: Road Widening
Affected Counties: Wake
Estimated Cost: $13,390,000
The NCDOT will widen from two to three lanes a 1.2-mile section of Reedy Creek Road from NC 54 (NE Maynard Road) to Harrison Avenue in Cary. This stretch of Reedy Creek Road winds through residential neighborhoods and past both Reedy Creek Elementary and Middle Schools, and speeding and cut-throughs have been a concern. It is hoped that the following improvements will help improve the safety along this corridor.
Improvements will include a center turn lane, five landscaped medians, two roundabouts, five-foot sidewalks, and bike lanes.
Roundabouts will be installed at:
- Wyatt's Pond Lane/Reedy Creek school entrance
- Dynasty Drive/Electra Drive
Some people mistakenly believe roundabouts are synonymous with traffic circles. They are not. Although both are circular, roundabouts are smaller and designed for slower speed traffic (15 to 25 miles per hour). Traffic circles are larger and designed for traffic moving at higher speeds - typically 30 to 50 miles per hour.
- Wyatt's Pond Drive to Country Lane
- Mickey Lane to Dynasty Drive/Electra Drive
- Dynasty Drive/Electra Drive to Smokehouse Lane
- Smokehouse Lane to Fallen Elm Avenue
- Fallen Elm Avenue to Indigo Lane
- Morrisville, Fuquay-Varina and Cary road projects get initial nod for federal grants
- Cary approves initial renovations to Reedy Creek Road
- Right-of-way acquisition - 2017
- Start Construction - 2017
- End Construction - 2019
It is estimated that more than 60 parcels of property will be impacted by this project. Currently, the NCDOT has set aside $1,780,000 for right-of-way takings. If your property will be affected, contact one of our attorneys (two of whom previously worked on behalf of the NCDOT) for a free case evaluation.